Thursday, October 27, 2011

Today and A Little About Yesterday Some Halloween Things Too

Today is a great day and I would like to take my kids to get pumpkins, except living here in Montana there are few patches around and the closest is over 70miles from us one way. Urgh! What shall I do about getting pumpkins for the kids. My husband believes we can get them at the store. Fine, we could very easily do that but it isn't the same. Our kids are getting so old that they should hit a pumpkin patch sometime soon before they don't want to. Those days are just around the corner. I would drive over 140miles round trip to get them to a pumpkin patch but our car is broke. We have a very nice rig but it quit starting and now it is at the shop. My Dad is gracious enough he is letting me use his truck.


My dad's truck is big and get even less gas mileage then our beast of a SUV. However,  my husband was raised not to have Halloween. For the first time it means something to him and he wants to go all out with our kids. I became a Christian in April 2007 and they do not believe in celebrating a pagan holiday. I get that we should not celebrate pagan holidays but only if that is what you make it. We are not making it that. Every year we let them go with their Dad for Halloween and they think we are just a bunch of sticks in the mud. Not this year, well they will still go with their Dad but this year we are carving pumpkins with them. Yay! This will be the first year my husband has EVER carved a pumpkin. How can we raise our kids to want to be Christians if we take all that is normal and fun away from them. I grew up with Halloween and my husband well he did not. This year we will be celebrating fall with pumpkins and spooky fun things. No we will not be paying tribute to the pagans but we will be making memories with our kids.


What do you do with your kids on October 31?

No comments: